Thursday, October 20, 2016

Beautiful Bird

A Scarlet Tanager 

Have  no idea what its name is but it has a sense of royalty about it.

Two little love birds sitting on a bough reminds me of an ice cream cone...strawberry...delicious and delightful.

How lucky we are to have such beautiful colorful birds in our lives, at least in pictures, those seagulls don't count, although they have a beauty all their own.    I miss walking along the Brooking boardwalk conversing with a few of those gulls.   

 In The Company of a Sea Gull

I walked along the boardwalk
eating an ice cream cone
followed by a big white gull
walking along the rail
chirping, squawking
telling me it was all right to share.

I put a tiny piece of cone
on the boardwalk rail
and watched him grab it up
knowing it was meant for him

He stood quietly and watched me
to see what I would do
and when he chirped, I fed him
a likely thing to do

We walked along;  he followed me
right to the very end
and seemed to know I'd finished mine
and had no more for him

He flew away, up to the sky
around in circles true
gliding, wheeling, screeching loud
a thank you from the blue.

JMS.

So those of you who live in Brookings, or by a sea, take a walk and a few crumbs along and keep a gull company.

It was quiet here at Ridgemont yesterday.   I was invited to visit Doris who was cleaning up some old boxes in her closet and wanted to show her collection of tiny metal figures.  There must have been fifty or more and each one was fun to play with as there was a Kachinka doll, cowboys and Indians and some Alaskan huskies, sleds and more.   She had some pieces of flat glass, prisms of color and design that were beautiful.   I think she was having second thoughts about doing away with them.   It is difficult for us to give up things we love.   We wouldn't collect them if we didn't love them.    I gather her husband had been the collector so it is harder for her to give them up since he has passed on.    We hang on to things thinking the children will want them, only to find out they could care less and have ideas of what they want to collect themselves.    I have to laugh as I remember saving Colonial figurines which I though my daughter Christine would want and love, only to find out she collected dragons.   Live and Learn!!

So today as you clean out a closet or two, remember that each one has their own idea of what they love.   It is amazing what people like to collect..pictures, books, nick knacks of all kinds, some with the idea of saving a bit of everything and that is fine if it makes you content and makes you smile.   Dusting takes a bit of joy out of collecting...nah......it is fun to hold these treasures and think of where and when you acquired them.    I have two tiny philosophers, mud figures, that I love. . . and a dozen other tiny objects that I dust with pleasure.   It comes down to 'whatever makes you smile."

Go, dust a few of your trinkets this morning and find a few memories along the way.    Be good, be kind, be cheerful . . . Share YOU with those you like and love.   Hug away!!!  It is good for you!   Hugs to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Morning!!!!

I am about to take a ride on my broom....thought you might like to come along!!! Good morning.  I've been awake for hours,  why?   Who k...