Sunday, January 24, 2016

Wondering

One of Erin's dishes while visiting Kauai;  looks delicious.     

A truism

no matter what the weather a strong, brave, service man walks the walk and never lets a  bit of weather stop him from his guard duty at the tomb of the unknown soldier.    I wonder who pulled duty and how he made out in that blizzard that hit the D. C. area yesterday and probably still on going this morning.   Say a prayer or two for the dedicated person who never shirks his duty.


Sheila's cats.  she has three and here are two of them that cannot share a rug but have to have one of their very won.  Smart cats know how to stay warm  and cozy during the winter rains. 

The blizzard arrived  in Virginia and along the entire east coast.   The news on television was full of pictures and stories about the blizzard which arrived on time and shut half of the east coast down.  The cities were at a stand still , people were smart and stayed in.   Those snow plow drivers sure should get a medal.  

Trucks were backed up for miles on the turnpikes.    We will be hearing a lot more today about the horrendous storm that gusted and howled its way across the entire east coast.   The storm brought back memories of my early days in Massachusetts when we had heavy snow storms that closed school for the day and left us to shovel our way to a play day.   I would imagine the children of today, living in those towns where the snow is piled high are up and out helping to shovel and make forts, snowballs and  have their sleds out ready for a wonderful day.  
 
We, my daughters and I , went to a Bavarian dinner at a private home that was big and beautiful and all set up for ten guests.  It was a Kiwanis  fund raiser and the Bavarian gentleman and his wife donate their time and talent to cook a special dinner up twice a year.   They donate their time and talent to a great cause.   I had no idea what Bavarian food tasted like and I was about  to find out.   We were greeted and introduced to a special drink that looked like cola but was different and not effervescent.  I don't drink sodas so didn't taste it, but I did take a few of the pre dinner crackers and cheeses that were spread out on a table with a dozen other tasty treats.   The hostess warned us not to over indulge as the dinner would be served soon and there was everything from  soup to nuts.  She was not kidding.
 
Our first course was a tomato soup to die for.  I don't even like tomato soup, but this one I'd like the recipe and make it often.  I don't know the names of the food that came to the table but I can tell you that it was all delicious and plentiful.  There was no way I could eat it all, so I nibbled and tasted and went home with a very large doggie bag.  In fact, I just had a left over sausage and bread leftover for breakfast this morning and it was just as delicious as it was at dinner yesterday.    We had stuffed yellow peppers with cabbage;  we had a roll filled with spinach and a creamy cheese;   we had taste treats that defied the taste buds and no room for it all.    So, if you are invited to have Bavarian down home foods, don't hesitate.
 
I understand from our hostess that they put on another dinner in the summer time and roast a lamb on the outside pit.   I have only seen a roasted lamb in a cowboy movie, not sure I'd like to see one cooking on a spit.    I bet it is delicious and wonder what sides they put with it..  Maybe we will find out and attend the one next summer but we will have to save as the dinners are far from cheap.  I know, a good cause, so I'll start saving now.
 
As for the guests, great folks, good conversations, some world travelers with stories to tell and I would say a great time was had by all.    I think they should be called "Indulge to Bulge affairs".
 
So, it is Sunday, all day.   I think you could manage a feast in your kitchen today.   If you are in for the day, why not cook up a special dinner . . . a chicken pot pie is easy;   spaghetti and meatballs always hit the spot;   just call in a few family members or friends and settle around the table and enjoy.  Of course  'they' will bring the sides , the wine, and regale you with stories to make you laugh out loud.   What a way to spend a Sunday, stormy or not.    Don't forget desert, there is always room for desert.    We had cookies of all kinds and a real 'Greek' coffee  in a tiny cup which was very strong to end our dinner yesterday.   I'd say it was okay...but....I prefer my coffee not quite so strong in a much larger cup...think it is demitasse, not sure...but an acquired taste.    Tea isn't all bad but water with a bit of lemon is always good.   You choose and have a wonderful Sunday using your seconds wisely.   Hugs to all.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Good Morning!!!!

I am about to take a ride on my broom....thought you might like to come along!!! Good morning.  I've been awake for hours,  why?   Who k...